Thursday, October 31, 2013

SLLO Reflections and Action


          I remember in my first year as a graduate student at Texas A&M, the first time I heard any mention of SLLO. I was in one of my first Residence Education meetings and the Associate Director was talking about this incredible program that can help us, as professionals, gauge how much our students are learning. As she went into explaining what SLLO was, I immediately felt out my league. Being a kid from small-town South Dakota, I don’t know if, to that point, I had thought about something like that. To me, complex guiding thoughts on practice were how to plot out farmland or what I needed to in my student organization to maximize the funding we were granted. As it turns out, exposing myself to SLLO and challenging myself to use it with my student staff was one of the best career decisions I've made in my limited time as a professional.

            In my time at Texas A&M, I utilized Student Learning Contracts with my student staff. My first experiment using these was, as could be predicted, disastrous. But, as I stuck with it and used feedback from the students I was working with to guide how I used them in the future, I started to get the hang of using them. By the time I was being forced to leave College Station (curse you, graduation!), I felt really comfortable using them and knew that as I continued to work with students, Learning Contracts and the assessment of student learning were going to remain a staple of my practice.

            As I started my time here at the University of Iowa, one major question was constantly floating around in my head: How can I, as a first-year employee, help guide our department in focusing on the assessment of learning in our student leaders. As committee assignments came out and I found out that I was on the Student Staff Training Committee, I had a realization: If we outline major competencies our student staff will both need in their position and gain through their time in the department, we can set up our training, supervision, and evaluation process to, in a natural way, assess student learning. Once I was able to convince the powers that be of this, the work could begin.

            As we are still in the beginning stage of piloting the use of our competencies, I will share a bit of the thoughts that went into creating our departmental competencies. Luckily, as I was talking about competencies in one of our first committee meetings, I was able to land a partner in developing them. As we sat down and began discussing the use of competencies and what we would need in order for them to be used effectively, we both came to the same conclusion: For ease of use, the department should have rubrics for each competency. The first step that we took was looking at the Resident Assistant job description and evaluation. From there, we were able to identify the seven overarching topical areas (i.e. Leadership). Next, we outlined individual competencies that would fall under certain topical areas (i.e. Takes responsibility for one’s own decisions and actions). The final step was outlining the rubrics that would be used in assessing students’ progress across the various areas. For this, we adapted Bloom’s Taxonomy to use different terminology that, in our minds, more directly correlates with students’ movement in knowledge as they stay in a student staff role for multiple years(Figure 1). Not only did we use Bloom’s Taxonomy as a guiding framework, but we also broke down where the student staff should be in the learning process based on how long they have been a Resident Assistant (e.g. training, 1st year, 2nd year).

            Upon finishing the first few stages of my first major student learning project as a full-time professional, I came to the realization of how much being involved in SLLO has impacted my knowledge base and practice. Without the exposure to SLLO and the outstanding professionals involved in and leading it, I wouldn’t have had any clue to even think about student staff competencies, much less outline this process. To folks new or unexposed to SLLO, I encourage you to get involved and learn all you can while you’re at Texas A&M. For those of you currently or previously involved in SLLO, thank you for the great work you do and have done in guiding our field and keep it up!

Carson D. Dinger, ‘12
Residence Life Coordinator

University of Iowa





No comments:

Post a Comment